Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Review ~ Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson














Title: Show Way

Written by: Jacqueline Woodson

Illustrated by: Hudson Talbott

Soft cover: 48 pages

Ages: 6-8

Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons

ISBN: 0-399-23749-6

Published: September 2005

Price: $16.99

The fabrics of our lives are woven through the generations with rich history to be shared. Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson is a heartwarming and heart wrenching story all at once about Soonie’s family and their plight across the generations in the quest for freedom. To learn of the struggles and successes individuals endured to ensure their eventual path to freedom has an inspiring stronghold across hundreds of years, one not to be forgotten.

Immerse yourself in the elegant storytelling of Newberry Honor winner, Jacqueline Woodson, and be prepared to be mesmerized. To learn more about author, Jacqueline Woodson visit: http://www.jacquelinewoodson.com/.

The awe inspiring illustrations of Hudson Talbott will leave the reader emotionally satisfied. Visit the fascinating world of Hudson Talbott at: http://www.hudsontalbott.com/.

Personal note: I had the thrilling opportunity to listen to Jacqueline Woodson speak at the NY Winter SCBWI Conference in January where she read Show Way to the audience. Her writing is exhilarating while reading on your own, but to hear her in person is breathtaking. While I read, Show Way Ms. Woodson’s voice echoed through my mind bringing chills throughout. The experience will stay with me forever.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    I would love to have heard Jacqueline Woodson's reading of her book. When I read her book, I will be imagining her voice, as per your description.

    By the way, did you know that one of your links is not active? The Underground Railroad, one of your other sites, shows this when I click on it:

    The Underground Railroad

    I do enjoy reading your posts, Donna.

    ~ Just Joany
    Red Wagon Flights

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I forgot to mention that I'm having a drawing at Red Wagon Flights.

    Hope you'll join in the fun.

    Joany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice interview. I look foreward to reading the book. I wish I could have heard her read it in person, what fun. Looking forward to your release of the historical fiction book you are doing too, my friend. Best wished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn!!! I knew I should have gone this year! But thank you for bringing us a piece of the conference. I wanted to be in that audience listening to Ms Woodson talking about reading and writing and listening to her work.:) She sounds so awesome. I hope some day to meet her.

    Did you get a chance to meet her?

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my historical fiction children's book, The Golden Pathway.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.